Monday, June 10, 2013


The Monroe Doctrine and word study


I find it amazing to think about our country being settled by Russians, French, Spanish, and Europeans.  When I think of the east coast, I think Europeans.  When I think of New Orleans, I think French influence.  When I think of Miami, I think Latino.  I forget, however, that these aren’t new cultural influences; they are old ones. 

I’m going to ask students to think about the Monroe Doctrine.  Using a white board, they will write down anything they already know about it (DOK 1).  Students will compare their ideas (DOK 2).  After that, we’ll talk about the doctrine, what it meant, and why President Monroe included this idea in his speech.  I’d like to use page 92 in ‘A History of US’ edition 4 as a reference.

Using the following website, we will look at a primary source of President Monroe’s printed speech.  http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llac&fileName=041/llac041.db&recNum=4  We will then do a word study of the passages that pertain to the closing of the American continents.  Projecting this on the smart board, we will substitute modern language by using the students as our first resource and dictionaries as our second source. 

We’ll discuss why this policy is important in our history and we’ll assess what might have happened in our country without the Monroe Doctrine (DOK 3).  We’ll analyze each other’s ideas and constructively critique them (DOK 4).

116B – word analysis skills….

R6A12 – Identify and apply word recognition skills.

116D – Demonstrates comprehension before, during, after reading….

Domain 1 a-e, 2 a-e, 3a-e, 4a, f

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of working with language--a fun way to develop literacy skills!

    ReplyDelete