Monday, June 10, 2013

I've noticed quite a few people have checked out my blog, so I wanted to give those viewers a little background....  I'm taking a class that deals with teaching history.  I've taken three versions of it, each lasting almost a year of online work, with one week of on-site work a summer.  This summer, my third, we will complete all the work in just a few months.  We've been studying United States history from the 1700s through the mid 1800s.  SO - this blog is a requirement for this year's class.  It's meant to share my teaching ideas with my fellow students before we see each other later this month.  I've found that lots of people have read over my posts, so I wanted to let you know what you'd find and why.

I teach sixth grade reading, writing, speaking, and listening.  Most middle schools call that Language Arts.  Strangely, my school calls it Communications.  Why take a history course, then, you ask?  I hated history as a kid.  It bored me, put me to sleep, drooling on the desk, okay - you get the picture.  BUT - as an adult I've begun to find history absolutely fascinating.  AND - I love the way I can tie it into novels that we read in class.  I love adding tidbits of historical information into my reading/writing lessons. 

If you like any of my ideas, please leave me a comment! 

2 comments:

  1. Yes that about sums up what's going on...but I bet you meant share your teaching ideas with your fellow TEACHERS before seeing them later in the month for a historical tour of western PA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, maybe I did mean fellow students - students of the CSIU course. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete